Skip to main content

Thought 20 - Organacide

Turns out vinegar and citric acid to a most amazing job at killing broad leaf weeds.
Mixed about 28 oz of 5% vinegar with 4 oz of lemon juice. Spray the plants in the morning, after the sun has started shining on them. During the day the acid + sunlight browns the leaves to a crisp.

Note it take the round up about a week to kill off the same type of plants and requires the dogs to stay indoors for about 2 hours until it fuses to plants and becomes rain hard.

Cost break down:
Round Up = $25 for a gallon

Vinager = $3 for a gallon
Bottle of lemon juice $3 for 8 oz. (can get 5 lbs of citric acid for $12 but it'd require quite a bit more vinegar.)
Reuseable Spray bottle: $4

So:
$25 vs. $10.
Toxic chemical vs safe to drink.
1 week results vs end of day.

Just makes me wonder if I am missing something here? Is there something that the Round Up does better? does it not kill grasses? Add missing elements to ground? Not really sure, but so far the vinegar and lemon juice look to be a formidable combination.

Sorry, I have not truly started the organic vs toxic death chemicals in terms of the rest of the lawn. Though I did put down turf builder, weed prevention in the front yard, so it may just turn into the chemical section.

I really should find the camera so I can take pictures and mark progress.

Comments

CJ said…
Good Job Hans!
Did the lemon juice and vinegar kill crab grass too and the normal grass? The kind of round up I had used killed anything and everything it touched and you could see it starting to kill the weeds within 20 minutes. It was great when I wanted to clear out the whole side of the house before installing the pavers. But then I had to keep the dogs out of there and ended up throwing away my gloves for fear that I might touch something that the dogs might lick. I had some kind of weed killer that claimed to only kill the weeds and not the lawn but I never used it. I could never find the right time to use it when I could keep the dogs off the lawn for a week+. I would much rather use something non-toxic.
Hans said…
Yes the lemon juice pretty much kills everything it touches. Basically it acid-burns the plants, which is in part why it works better on warmer sunny days it literally fries the plants. And of course while not exactly the healthiest thing to drink it won't kill you or the puppies.

I still need to do a full up test: mark off a couple of areas, spray, and take photos for a couple of weeks. Because really herbicides and the vinegar both works, it's now just a matter of effectiveness, side effects, etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Thought 16 - Kid Power

In response "Thought 14 - Perpetual Cat" sugarbumkin said, "The same theory could be applied to balloons tied to kindergarteners at recess. I like it." Well this got me thinking... Clothes with that are laced with MEMS generators. A MEMS generator is a solid state electronic circuit that generates low level of current though passive motion of the environment. Things like temperature change, acceleration, and even Brownian motion are converted to power using a MEMS generator. So, now we have attached them to small free moving bipeds of pure energy. How do we get the energy back. I figure that we isolate the playground into a large battery configuration where the children are running around on a conductive plate that makes contact with the heels of their shoes. They will run around with a super capacitor in addition to the MEMS, when their feet touch the ground the super-cap is discharged into the conductive plate underneath them. I do not think that the childr...

Thought 18 - Cat Boxes

Point one today (from the wife): Does it seem odd that we wrap up cat and dog, poo and pee into plastic bag to be effectively preserved for millions of years. Just think of what future archeologist will think. I guess this does stem from the fact that cats and dogs, and well just about every other animal on the planet as been peeing and pooping, when ever and where ever they please. Granted we'd have a bit of a smell problem if everyone went where ever, but we developed sanitation for a reason! Further most animals poo is beneficial to plants as fertilizer. Well, not really dog and cat poo, but why not just flush this stuff? or compost it in a 'hot' compost pile. Well it turns out we're not that bad, they do make flushable/compostable kitty litter. Oddly they charge more for them despite using things like ground corn cobs, pine pellet, wheat staff, i.e. other industry waste products, so why more expensive? or better if you have a yard why not grow corn, wheat, and...

Thought 28: Rise Above

Sometimes the world makes you feel helpless. You think you can change the world and the harder you push the more it pushes back. Sometimes it moves a little, sometimes the little bits add up and you find you CAN move mountains. You just have to keep your attitude high as that IS the thing you can change. No matter bad things look just keep the attitude up and things will begin to get better, slowly, but surely. Heads up, stay positive, we're all in this together!